The Spirit of Jupiter Marching Band holds several band camps at the end of the school year and over the summer to teach students how to march, to learn the year’s competition show, and to come together socially as a group.
Plan to arrive BEFORE the scheduled start time at all rehearsals to allow enough time to take out any equipment needed so the band can START at the scheduled time. The general rule of thumb is to always be AT LEAST 15 minutes early. As always… to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late.
Spring Band Camp & Auditions
Band Camp and Auditions begin in mid-May so current 8th graders (incoming 9th graders) can attend rehearsals and get comfortable with the group. Spring Camp dates are twice per week the last three weeks of the school year. Attendance is not mandatory, but we do encourage all students to attend as many rehearsals as possible.
Spring/Audition camp dates are announced through middle school band directors and are available on the JHS Band Calendar.
Items Needed for Spring Camp
Students should bring the following items with them to Spring Camp Rehearsals:
- Sturdy cross trainer-type sneakers AND SOCKS; NO high tops, skate shoes, sandals or open-toed shoes
- Your instrument (unless you will be using a school instrument)
- 3-ring notebook binder with clear plastic sheet protectors
- 1-gallon water jug/beverage cooler filled with water
- Pencil (mechanical is best)
Students should wear comfortable clothing to Spring rehearsals. All students who join the Spirit of Jupiter Marching Band will receive an “official” practice uniform of two white t-shirts and one pair of green or black mesh athletic shorts, both with JHS Band logo. Additional rehearsal attire is the responsibility of the student. For more information about marching band uniforms and appropriate attire, please see our Uniforms page.
New Parent Meeting
There is a MANDATORY new parent meeting the evening of the first day of spring camp. We do try to provide a notary public on the first day of the spring camp to make it easier for parents to get their child’s Health Information & Authorization form notarized.
Marching Band Forms
Forms needed to participate in marching band are distributed at the JHS Band Interest Meeting, typically held in early May. Forms are also posted on our web site’s Forms page under SPIRIT OF JUPITER MARCHING BAND.
All students must have a Health Information & Authorization form on file with the JHS Band Director before participating in Summer Band Camp! Students may be sent home from camp without this form on file! It is to your student’s benefit to have this form on file in the event of a medical emergency.
ALL forms are due the last day of the spring camp.
Summer Band Camps
The Spirit of Jupiter holds three mandatory summer band camps. They are typically held in:
- June, usually the first full week after the end of school
- July, usually the second full week of July
- August, usually the first full week before school starts
Items Needed for Summer Band Camps
Students should bring the following items with them to all Summer Band Camps:
- All items listed above for Spring Camp PLUS
- Green shorts (for instrumentalists)
- Black shorts (Color Guard only)
- White t-shirt – NO tank tops!
- Light-colored hat (preferably white)
- Dot book: 3″ x 5″ spiral bound index cards (August)
Preparing for Summer Band Camp
A week BEFORE Summer Band Camps, students should:
- Drink LOTS of extra water – especially the weekend before camp starts.
- Get outdoors and do some physical activity to get used the heat and get yourself into better cardio-vascular shape – don’t forget to wear sunscreen and a hat!
- Make sure you have all of the items listed above.
During Summer Band Camp
EVERY DAY of Band Camps/Rehearsals:
- Eat a healthy meal before each camp day. Include fruit. Don’t eat high sugar content foods, milk or other dairy products before camps or rehearsals.
- Your Camp/Rehearsal “uniform” green/black shorts, white t-shirt, sturdy sneakers, etc.
- Sunscreen & Blistex/Chapstick
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Dot book (starting in August)
- A healthy lunch/dinner and LOTS of water
- Filled gallon cooler of water
- Any medications you need
- Be READY TO PLAY at the camp/rehearsal start time!